Sunday, June 26, 2016

Secrets

At the age of 14 I became a Motherless Daughter. In 1980 I married. In 1999 I divorced. In 2001 after being in relationship with a so called "well to do" man of society for 6 months he attempted to kill me after finding out I knew that he was committing fraud. To hide and survive I moved into a woman's shelter. It was while living in the women's shelter that my daughter handed me a book called Motherless Daughters written by Hope Edelman. 

14 years later I was privileged to attend a Motherless Daughter's conference in L.A. One of the amazingly courageous inspiring woman, brilliant author Cheryl Strayed (author of Wild) and inspiring speaker was Cheryl Strayed. Below is a snippet of her show called Sugar and a very vulnerable topic: Secrets. My life is my story and in 2017 I will  also be releasing my first book.

SECRETS
Every family has its secrets, but it's how those secrets are dealt with that determines the power they hold.
In Part 1, the Sugars consider the implications of keeping a secret within a family system. They take a letter from a woman who, since her early teens, has kept a dark and powerful secret from her mother about her stepfather.
The Sugars are joined by the writer Kathryn Harrison, who, in her memoir "The Kiss," dared to share a family secret that nearly destroyed her. Harrison recently published a collection of essays, "True Crimes: A Family Album," that explores the broader issues of this series: family secrets held and revealed.
http://www.wbur.org/dearsugar/2016/06/24/dear-sugar-episode-fifty-nine

No comments:

Post a Comment